Both of my kids love Legos. Lego’s? Is there an apostrophe? I don’t know. They both love them though. Along with that, comes all the minifigures. They come with the sets, but they also tend to get them in their Christmas stockings and Easter baskets. It’s safe to say they both have a lot. Browsing through Pinterest one day (I totally have a Lego board), I found a picture of a minifigure case and pinned it. When I went back later to get directions on how to make it, it just led me to an Etsy shop. So, I made one myself. I’ve got to say, this was easier and turned out way better than I expected.
First stop was Hobby Lobby. I wanted a shadow box that had easily removable glass. All of the frame section and I only found one. It also had a burlap like background, which would not work, so I also bought foam board and a glue gun. Can you believe I have never owned a glue gun? Well, now I do.
First off, I took the back off the frame and removed the glass. Using the back as a template, I cut the foam board with an exacto knife. Then I had to figure out exactly where I wanted my legos to go. I used the three and four row legos (you know, the ones with rows of three and rows of four knobs. Did you know they were called knobs? Me neither.) My frame is 12″ x 14″ and the minifigures seemed to be less than 2″ tall. From the top of my cut foam board, I had my rows start at the 3″ mark, the 6″, the 9″, and 12″ marks. This give me 4 rows. I then put five legos in each row, 2 inches apart, starting at the 1.25″ mark.
Also, can we talk about that thing on my table? The husband calls it a lobster. Don’t ever unplug a smelly plugin thing and lay it down somewhere. It leaked all over my table and took the finish off. A new dining table is next on my big purchase list, but since we just bought the truck, it’s going to be a while.
I had wanted to make all my legos the same color, but the kids didn’t have enough in their reject boxes to do that. So, they are multicolored. Once the legos were all laid out, make sure to stand them on end, I set about glueing them on. I laid the ruler out and went row by row. I just eyeballed it to make sure everything was straight. Once the legos were attached, I gave them a few minutes to dry. Then I ran the glue gun around the interior of the frame, just so the foam board would have something to keep it in place. The original back with the little brackets to keep it in place had the burlap stuff attached to it and it all got trashed.
With the foam board glued in, I added the minifigures and project complete! I think this came out great! The husband and kids pretty much laughed at how excited I was, but I’ve attempted enough projects that are complete fails, so the good ones get me excited.